Weingarten Realty Legal Assistant - Litigation in Houston, Texas
Legal Assistant - Litigation
Location: Houston, TX
Company Order Number: 1027
Administrative Assistant – Legal Litigation
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to attorneys and paralegals in the Litigation Section of the Legal Department. The Litigation Section’s main functions include: overseeing the company’s eviction, collection, and defense matters; handling tenant bankruptcies and disputes; and responding to mechanic’s liens.
• Monitor and maintain shared email inboxes.
• Create and update database entries regarding active cases.
• Process incoming payments.
• Electronically review and process invoices from outside law firms.
• Update spreadsheets showing damages for use by in-house and outside counsel.
• Create payment schedules based on settlement agreements.
• Prepare correspondence and other miscellaneous documents in an accurate and timely manner, conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
• Run reports and perform internet research regarding potential litigants.
• Maintain filing system of all materials for assigned personnel.
• Upload documents to MS SharePoint.
• Maintain attorneys’ and paralegals’ calendars for all critical deadlines.
• Develop and maintain positive relations with other departments and coordinate the exchange of information needed from other departments.
• Make all necessary arrangements for meetings and travel.
• Prepare expense reimbursement forms.
• Process incoming and outgoing mail.
• Assume additional duties and responsibilities as requested from time to time.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel required. A general knowledge of Office 2010 applications needed. Prior experience with J.D. Edwards, Microsoft SharePoint and Lotus Notes based databases is preferable.
• Strong writing skills required. Must be able to communicate effectively via the written word. Must be able to create professional written correspondence from rough drafts, verbal instructions, notes, etc.
• Must be organized, detail-oriented, and enjoy a heavy volume of detail-focused work.
• Must be a self-starter who is able to work with limited supervision.
• Must have strong verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
• A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as an Administrative Assistant with experience in litigation strongly desired. Bookkeeping experience a plus.
• Requires high school diploma or equivalent