USAA Legal Assistant in Irvine, California
Purpose of Job
IMPORTANT: Applicants – When filling out your name and other personal information below, DO NOT use any special characters or ALL CAPS. Use only standard letters in the English alphabet. Including special characters or all uppercase letters will cause errors in your application.
We are currently seeking talented Legal Assistant II for our Orange County, CA facility.
Under the direction of an attorney, provides assistance with legal work which is reviewed and approved by the supervising attorney. Reviews and prepares legal documents. Performs routine legal research and compiles data from various sources. The legal work performed differs by practice area and area of specialty such as insurance, banking, investments, financial services, litigation, general corporate, ecommerce/marketing, government relations or labor/employee relations.
- Assists with the investigative process by gathering documents and information for legal assignments.
- Conducts research and analyzes documents to prepare reports of findings and formulates alternatives. Evaluates the risk of each alternative, calculates costs of potential liability and assesses benefits/drawbacks.
- Prepares drafts of legal documents such as discovery responses, affidavits, motions, corporate minutes, contracts and other legal documents.
- Ensures proper filing of documents with regulatory authorities, courts and other tribunals, monitors status, and distributes copies.
- Prepares presentations and briefing material on topics relevant to USAA business. Assembles documents and prepares charts, graphs, and other visual aids to be used as exhibits.
- Oversees management and maintenance of attorneys' files per the attorney's specifications; assists with administrative tasks to include, but not limited to, calendar responsibilities to ensure all deadlines are met; scheduling, check writing, check requesting, copying, and handling mail as necessary to ensure continuous business operations.
- Acts as a liaison between attorney and outside counsel in the exchange of information. Communicates with USAA members as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years as a paralegal or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools.
- Experience defending Personal Injury Claims within an insurance organization
- Experience working for staff counsel.
- Demonstrate adaptability.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Analyze issues and make decisions.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Legal Assistant CA-Irvine R0012016