AbbVie Counsel, Transactions in Lake County, Illinois
The Counsel, Transactions, will be an integral part of a team of attorneys advising AbbVie’s Business Development and Acquisitions, and Ventures teams, along with other key corporate functions.
Among other responsibilities, he or she will draft and negotiate key transaction agreements, including mergers, acquisitions, licenses and collaborations, and venture investment documentation, provide clear legal advice on these matters, and anticipate and address issues promptly with a cross-functional client base.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The Counsel, Transactions, will be responsible for identifying and resolving, highly complex legal issues and drafting and negotiating highly complex corporate transactions. He or she should:
- Have extensive experience with managing M&A and collaboration/joint-venture transactions; experience with pharmaceutical licensing and collaboration transactions and venture investments and/or equity transactions is preferred.
- Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect pharmaceutical licensing, M&A, and ventures transactions, including antitrust/competition, and other corporate and IP matters.
- Be capable of regularly negotiating highly individualized and sophisticated agreements independently with third parties on matters of strategic importance that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie’s business or are areas of significant importance to senior management.
- Be capable of regularly engaging in due diligence and independently interpreting complex existing agreements and advising on complex situations that may arise related to transactions.
- Select and direct the work of outside counsel, including defining project objectives and managing projects.
Maintain and assure compliance with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures. Additional Responsibilities:
Analyze and clearly communicate legal advice designed to maximize outcomes for patients and for AbbVie on complex, strategic agreements related to pharmaceutical licenses and collaborations and other strategic alliances, and venture investments.
- Provide clear advice to clients, including senior management, ensuring that advice maximizes the potential of our pipeline.
- Use good judgment in determining whether and when to elevate issues to senior attorneys and senior management.
- Assist senior legal staff on matters of significant importance to AbbVie that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie's business.
- S erve as recognized source, for both management and other attorneys, of innovative ideas in complex areas of law, business, or technology.
- Provide legal guidance, supervision, and support to paralegals and legal support staff.
- Must possess a J.D. degree.
- Must meet the professional licensing requirement of the state in which they practice within a two-year time-period.
- Excellent legal analysis skills and crisp, concise communicator.
- Honed judgment and ability to identify and quickly address critical issues.
- Ability to use legal training to maximize business opportunities.
- Strong sense of urgency and drive for successful business outcome in all activities.
- 4-5 years of relevant experience.
Experience in advising on ongoing complex contractual relationships, such as development collaborations.
Support the achievement of pharmaceutical business objectives by providing clear and accurate legal advice counsel, and managing legal risks to the corporation.
- Experience in providing legal advice for pharmaceutical research and development.
- Experience managing other professionals and staff.
Job Classification: Experienced
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Req ID: 1705761
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled