CACI International Senior Paralegal - LA, CA in Los Angeles, California
Senior Paralegal Specialist, Typical duties are as follows:
· Performs specialized legal research and writing in support of work in assigned area of criminal or civil prosecution, including research and analysis of statutes, legislative intent, judicial precedents, agency rules and regulations, and law review articles as they related to assigned cases to include those of an especially complex or unprecedented nature.
· Utilizes a variety of automated resources to research case or program specific legal matters, and to participate in assigned areas of criminal or civil proceedings, e.g., electronic discovery.
· Assists in the development of case referrals by:
• ensuring that referrals meet agency and USAO standards for litigation;
• reviewing and evaluating referrals to determine the need for additional information and evidence, and planning a comprehensive approach to obtain this information and evidence;
• assisting the assigned attorney(s) regarding the merits and weaknesses of specific referrals based upon applicable law, evidence of liability and damages, and potential defenses;
• helping the USAO develop new referrals, by ensuring a good working relationship with client agencies and the public, and by assisting in training for federal, state, and local agencies in the assigned area, preparing informational literature, etc.
· Performs a variety of tasks associated with litigation of cases in assigned specialty area including:
• receiving and analyzing incoming pleadings and correspondence;
• determining appropriate action and notes time limitations for responses;
• drafting correspondence and legal documents for attorney’s signature;
• drafting proposed orders and decrees for signature of judges and magistrates.
· Assists in pretrial preparation by:
• preparing, scheduling, reviewing, and organizing discovery;
• notifying, interviewing, and managing witnesses;
• researching case law;
• supporting assigned attorney(s) in court proceedings by briefing attorney on pertinent facts, issues, and case law, and by compiling, organizing, and indexing exhibits.
Works in an office setting; some walking, standing, bending and carrying of small office items is requires. With prior approval, works overtime depending on work and caseload.
At this level, the incumbent, exercises more independent judgment than at the level I position.
Reviews case materials to become familiar with questions under consideration;Searches for and summarizes relevant articles in trade magazines, law reviews, published studies, financial reports, and similar materials for use of attorneys in the preparation of opinions, briefs, and other legal documents; Prepares digests of selected decisions or opinions which incorporate legal references and analyses of precedents involved in areas of well-defined and settled points of law; Interviews potential witnesses and prepares summary interview reports for the attorney's review; Participates in pre-trial witness conferences, notes possible deficiencies in case materials (e. g. , missing documents, conflicting statements) and additional issues or other questionable matters, and requests further investigation by other agency personnel to correct possible deficiencies or personally conducts limited investigations at the pre-trial stage;Prepares and organizes trial exhibits, as required, such as statistical charts and photographic exhibits; Verifies citations and legal references on prepared legal documents; Prepares summaries of testimony and depositions; Drafts and edits nonlegal memoranda, research reports and correspondence relating to cases.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
CACI employs a diverse range of talent to create an environment that fuels innovation and fosters continuous improvement and success. Join CACI, where you will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact by providing information solutions and services in support of national security missions and government transformation for Intelligence, Defense, and Federal Civilian customers. A Fortune magazine World's Most Admired Company in the IT Services industry, CACI is a member of the Fortune 1000 Largest Companies, the Russell 2000 Index, and the S&P SmallCap600 Index. CACI provides dynamic careers for over 20,000 employees worldwide. CACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.