Barclays VP , Legal Americas - Employment Law in New York City, New York
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
*Employment, Incentives and Pensions (EIP)
The EIP team is a global team which sets the framework for and manages employment, pensions and incentives legal risk.
This position is part of the Global Legal Department of Barclays. This lawyer will be part of the Employment, Incentives & Pensions team in the Americas region (Canada, U.S., Mexico, Brazil) , which provides cross-cluster support for the regional businesses (primarily investment banking, corporate banking and the credit card businesses). This role is intended to provide primary business coverage for the Markets business and will coordinate and work with the global team as well to provide consistency in organizational risk appetite.
The lawyer will be part of the internal employment law function, working closely with Human Resources, other control functions (including the Compliance department) and members of the business on the full spectrum of employment law issues (advisory, litigation, and transactional), including:
· general advisory: provide strategic advice to business and HR partners on risks of employment-related decisions and practices
· recruiting and hiring: drafting and negotiating employment agreements; developing templates and forms; advising on restrictive covenants
· employment claims: managing all forms of employee disputes and litigation matters, including agency charges, arbitration proceedings, and court litigation
· employment-related compliance reporting: serving as partner to Compliance to satisfy regulatory reporting obligations associated with employment issues (e.g., separation / U5 reporting)
· transactions: advising on the employment law issues relating to sales, spin-offs, and acquisitions and similar transactions
· employee benefits: working with HR and outside counsel on ERISA and benefits-related issues
· compensation: advising on wage-and-hour practices, including overtime issues, and on the development and administration of compensation programs, such as equity-based programs and deferred compensation arrangements; advising on 409A and other related issues
· policies and procedures: working with HR on the development and drafting of employment policies and their application under various state and federal laws
· training: develop and deliver employment law training for HR and others to proactively address issues and/or changes or developments in law
· affirmative action: working with human resources at Barclays and outside counsel on the development and administration of affirmative action programs; supporting compliance reviews/audits
· immigration: working with HR and outside counsel on US visa and immigration law issues
· develop and maintain industry relationships in the employment law field
Person Specification –
o J.D. with admission to NY State Bar
o 5 years’ experience as employment lawyer, experience with financial services firms preferred
o Strong analytical skills; ability to efficiently analyze employment-related issues and effectively identify solutions
o Good judgment; ability to consider different courses of action in broader context of organizational culture and develop proper recommendations to solve problems and manage employment law risk
o Demonstrated teamwork and communication skills
o Demonstrated commercial instinct and thinking
o Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously without compromising quality of service
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Title: VP , Legal Americas - Employment Law
Location: New York-New York City
Requisition ID: *90138134