MTA Executive Assistant General Counsel in New York
Resume Due Date: October 19, 2017
Functional Job Title: Executive Assistant General Counsel for Tolling
Civil Service Title: Executive Agency Counsel
Department/Division: Law and Procurement
Work Location: 2 Broadway
Earnings Potential: Min $108,865 Mid $136,082
Hay Points: 954
Overtime Eligibility: Not eligible for paid overtime in accordance with FLSA
(Actual salary offers are made subject to the salary administration policy and are made considering a number of factors including, but not limited to, the selected candidate’s salary and work history.)
Under the supervision of the Executive Agency General Counsel, with latitude for discretion and independent judgment, provides and directs Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys in providing legal advice, direction and representation, as well as supervises the Legal Specialist for tolling, in connection with wide-ranging toll-related matters, projects and initiatives including, but not limited to, toll collection and violation enforcement litigation and judgment collection, other toll-related litigation including bankruptcy court, cashless Open Road Tolling (ORT), Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) reciprocity, the E-ZPass Interagency Group, national interoperability, other tolling agencies, initiatives and agreements, toll increases, rebates and discounts, compliance with the State Administrative Procedure Act (SAPA) and the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), registration suspension, criminal prosecutions, exclusion orders, customer complaints, disputes and requests for administrative review, outside agency investigations, subpoenas, privacy issues, bond covenants, procurement issues and legislation.
- Supervise, direct and assist Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys in the performance of their duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to, providing legal advice, performing legal research in connection with civil toll violation enforcement litigation (from inception through trial, settlement and appeal), as well as in bankruptcy court.
- Supervise, direct and assist Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys in drafting, reviewing and finalizing complaints in civil litigation against toll violators, handling discovery demands, motions, stipulations, releases, settlement agreements and default judgments and otherwise initiating, finalizing and settling toll-related collection matters to collect unpaid tolls and violation fees from scofflaw toll violators.
- Supervise and direct the Legal Specialist for tolling in the performance of her duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to, supporting wide-ranging toll-related matters, projects and initiatives; assisting Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys; and preparing cases and legal documents (draft complaints, affidavits, discovery demands/responses, motions, exhibits, subpoenas) for service and filing; and tracking toll-related matters and activities.
- Be hands-on in handling all aspects of tolling-related matters, your own toll collection civil litigation caseload (from inception through trial, settlement and appeal) and providing litigation support to Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys, and appear, as necessary, at conferences, hearings, motions, trials and appeals.
- Provide legal advice, direction and representation regarding toll collection and violation enforcement under cashless Open Road Tolling (ORT) including, but not limited to, legislative initiatives, registration suspension, criminal prosecutions, exclusion orders, customer complaints/disputes, subpoenas, outside agency investigations, etc.
- Provide legal advice, direction and representation regarding toll policy including, but not limited to, toll increases and rebates/discounts, ORT, one-way tolling, national interoperability, bond covenants, DMV reciprocity issues and compliance with SAPA, SEQRA and privacy issues.
- Provide legal advice, direction and representation regarding toll-related procurement matters including contract drafting, solicitation, award, administration and claims.
- Ability to master potentially unfamiliar and complex legal issues. Review, research and handle complex legal issues, recommending and pursuing courses of action and solutions to protect TBTA’s interests to withstand judicial and/or administrative scrutiny.
1) Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school and New York State Bar Admission maintained in good standing throughout employment.
2) Eight (8) years of civil/criminal litigation experience in New York State and/or federal courts or administrative tribunals preferred.
3) Significant supervisory experience.
4) License to practice law in the State of New York, including admissions to state and federal courts.
5) Experience in procedural/substantive areas of law relevant to: litigation, regulatory, environmental, contractual and/or enforcement, as well as state and federal consumer protection laws, rules, regulations and procedures.
6) Criminal law and/or law enforcement experience desired.
7) Ability to master and handle potentially unfamiliar and complex legal issues and supervise Assistant General Counsel toll attorneys and the Legal Specialist for tolling.
8) Capable of advising, recommending and pursuing courses of action and solutions to protect MTA Bridges and Tunnels interests that will withstand judicial and/or administrative agency scrutiny.
9) Handle and supervise the handling of toll-related matters, projects and initiatives including, but not limited to, toll collection and violation enforcement litigation from inception through trial/settlement and appeal.
10) Prepare toll legislation/regulation and contracts. The work requires considerable initiative and the development of independent judgment.
11) Motivated self-starter who is enthusiastic and eager to learn all aspects of tolling, possesses good interpersonal, verbal, written, organizational and supervisory/management skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to set and tackle priorities.
As an employee of MTA Bridges & Tunnels you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $95,534.00 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA Bridges and Tunnels is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Title: Executive Assistant General Counsel
Job ID: 91330
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Agency: Bridges and Tunnels
Department: LEG/Legal Department
Division: EXC/Executive Office