Washington State Legal Assistant 2, Consumer Protection Division, Attorney General's Office in Seattle, Washington
This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. First review of applications is expected to occur on 7/24/2017 and will be ongoing. It is in the applicants' best interest to submit their application materials as early as possible. The hiring manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. This job posting may be closed at any time without notice.
The Washington State Attorney General's Office (AGO) provides excellent, independent, and ethical legal services to the State of Washington and protects the rights of its people. The chief legal office for the state of Washington, the AGO's attorneys and staff in 27 divisions and 12 locations across the state provide legal services to roughly 200 state agencies, boards and commissions.
Led by Attorney General Bob Ferguson, the AGO works hard to protect consumers and seniors against fraud, keep our communities safe, protect our environment, and stand up for our veterans.
For more information about the AGO, we encourage you to review the Office's newest Annual Report which can be found HERE.
The Attorney General's Office is recruiting for a permanent full time Legal Assistant 2. This position will perform duties 75% of the time for the Consumer Protection Division and 25% of the time for the Public Records Unit. This position is located in downtown Seattle.
The Consumer Protection Division enforces consumer protection laws to help keep the Washington marketplace free of unfair and deceptive practices. It provides information and education to businesses and to the public on consumer rights and issues, and sends out alerts and press releases when consumers or businesses are targets of fraudulent or predatory activities. The Consumer Protection Division also administers the Washington State Lemon Law Program and the Manufactured Housing Dispute Resolution Program.
The Public Counsel Unit represents consumers who would not otherwise have an effective voice regarding the rates, services, and business practices of the investor-owned telephone, electric and natural gas utilities operating in the state. Cases are conducted and issues presented in proceedings before Washington's Utilities and Transportation Commission (WUTC), in state court, and in other forums as appropriate.
*Legal Assistants based in our Seattle Office receive 15% assignment pay in addition to the salary listed above.
This position will perform routine legal support functions 75% of the time for the Consumer Protection Division and 25% of the time for the Public Records Unit.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Use independent judgement and knowledge of applicable court rules to plan, schedule, initiate and carry out all legal form preparation.
- File and serve legal documents according to current state, federal, and local court rules.
- Examine all outgoing legal documents and correspondence for formatting and typographical errors.
- Check legal citations for accuracy.
- Advise team of upcoming deadlines and special items needing attention.
- Organize documents and information, set up and maintain litigation files, enter case data into the Case Management System.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, depositions, and court hearings, including contacting parties, providing appropriate notice, securing location and overseeing technical needs.
- Monitor incoming deliveries and electronic mail.
- Process incoming mail and calendar all dates per division policy.
- Mail and deliver documents.
- Coordinate projects with the General Services Department.
- Make and confirm travel and lodging arrangements.
- Identify and prepare cases for storage at the State Records Center.
- Prepare, process and track invoice payments.
- Prepare and submit travel vouchers using the AGO electronic travel management system. Qualifications
Option 1: High School diploma or equivalent and two years of experience in a legal environment in support of an attorney, administrative law judge(s), review judge(s) or equivalent;
Option 2: One year as a Legal Assistant 1;
Option 3: A two-year degree in Legal Secretary Studies, Paralegal Studies or related field plus 1 year of legal office experience.
A Bachelor's degree may substitute for the Legal Secretary or Paralegal degree.
Applicants for legal assistant positions with the Attorney General's Office are required to take a skills assessment prior to appointment in our agency.
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest, describing your specific qualifications for the position;
- A current resume detailing experience, education, and current salary.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMPLETELY:
- Carefully review your application for accuracy, spelling and grammar before submitting.
- You may not reapply to this posting for 30 days.
- The initial screening of applications will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "work experience" and "education" sections of your application in www.careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "work experience" section of the application.
- All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application process or requiring this announcement in an alternative format may contact Tracy Robinson at (360) 586-7693 or Washington Relay Service at (800) 676-3777 or www.washingtonrelay.com.
For questions regarding this recruitment or assistance with the application process, please contact Judith Vandergeest at (360) 586-7691 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or email@example.com.
Salary: $2,848.00 - $3,700.00 Monthly
Location: King County - Seattle - Downtown Business, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Attorney General's Office
Job Number: 2017-06537
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact