Washington State Legal Assistant 3, Agriculture and Health Division, Attorney General's Office in Tumwater, Washington
This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. First review of applications is expected to occur on 10/16/2017 and will be ongoing. It is in the applicants' best interest to submit their application materials as early as possible. The hiring manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. This job posting may be closed at any time without notice.
The Washington State Attorney General's Office (AGO) provides excellent, independent, and ethical legal services to the State of Washington and protects the rights of its people. The chief legal office for the state of Washington, the AGO's attorneys and staff in 27 divisions and 12 locations across the state provide legal services to roughly 200 state agencies, boards and commissions.
Led by Attorney General Bob Ferguson, the AGO works hard to protect consumers and seniors against fraud, keep our communities safe, protect our environment, and stand up for our veterans.
For more information about the AGO, we encourage you to review the Office's newest Annual Report which can be found HERE.
The Attorney General's Office is recruiting for a permanent full time Legal Assistant 3 in the Agriculture and Health Division. This position is located in Tumwater, Washington.
The Agriculture and Health Division is made up of 15 attorneys and 9 professional staff. The division represents the Departments of Agriculture, Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Commerce, and Health, as well as 22 Agricultural Commodity Commissions and the Northwest Interstate Compact on Low-Level Radioactive Waste. The division's work involves both litigation and advice related to oversight of health care practitioners and facilities, certification of medical marijuana consultants, the regulation of agricultural activities and food processing, pest eradication, threats to human health, shellfish sanitation, drinking water and septic systems, funding of innovative life sciences research and clean energy technology, historic and archaeological artifact preservation and low-level radioactive waste disposal. The division also assists with legal issues related to the Energy Independence Act and programs to improve the state's infrastructure, communities and the economy.
This position performs complex legal support/assistant duties at the senior level for up to four assistant attorneys general in the Agriculture and Health Division, trains, leads and/or mentors lower-level staff and serves as a resource for staff regarding technical legal assignments.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Calculates, calendars and tracks significant events and identifies critical deadlines.
- Files and serves legal documents with court and parties.
- Identifies and pursues next steps in litigation or adjudicatory process.
- Monitors and maintains complex electronic and manual internal filing system.
- Performs file management on a regular basis by reviewing, reading and checking status of cases to keep attorneys informed of significant and important items.
- Prepares and finalizes legal documents and correspondence for review.
- Reviews and processes all incoming mail and legal messenger deliveries.
- Performs entry level paralegal duties. Qualifications
Option 1: High School diploma or equivalent and four years of experience in a legal environment in support of an attorney, administrative law judge(s), review judge(s) or equivalent;
Option 2: One year as a Legal Assistant 2;
Option 3: A two-year degree in Legal Secretary Studies, Paralegal Studies or related field of study plus 2 years of legal office experience.
A Bachelor's degree may substitute for the Legal Secretary or Paralegal degree.
Applicants for legal assistant positions with the Attorney General's Office are required to take a skills assessment prior to appointment in our agency.
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest, describing your specific qualifications for the position;
- A current resume detailing experience, education, and current salary.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMPLETELY:
- Carefully review your application for accuracy, spelling and grammar before submitting.
- You may not reapply to this posting for 30 days.
- The initial screening of applications will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "work experience" and "education" sections of your application in www.careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "work experience" section of the application.
- All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application process or requiring this announcement in an alternative format may contact Tracy Robinson at (360) 586-7693 or Washington Relay Service at (800) 676-3777 or www.washingtonrelay.com.
For questions regarding this recruitment or assistance with the application process, please contact Judith Vandergeest at (360) 586-7691 or email@example.com.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: $3,123.00 - $4,085.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Attorney General's Office
Job Number: 2017-09143
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact