American University Associate Director of Academic Advising & Policy Development in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Associate Director of Academic Advising & Policy Development will promote the academic excellence of American University Washington College of Law students, from matriculation through graduation. The Associate Director will lead the law school’s advising efforts, and will be responsible for conceptualizing and organizing all academic advising activities at the law school and individually providing academic advising to JD students. The incumbent will have a central role in the law school in ensuring that all students have the opportunity for appropriate, useful, targeted, and strategic academic advising and that they are knowledgeable about the law school’s myriad academic and student services. The Associate Director will also be responsible for policy and procedure development related to the curriculum and compliance with American Bar Association standards and American Association of Law Schools rules.
J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school; Admission to the bar.
- 5 years of experience advising or mentoring law students and/or law graduates preferably in the area of academic advising
- Deep knowledge of law school curricula, law school pedagogical approaches, and developments in the legal market
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated focus on empathy, sensitivity, and discretion
- Strong legal writing, research, and analysis skills
- Ability to build rapport with and gain trust of students, faculty and staff;
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound, ethical, and professional judgment
- Understanding of the structure and purpose of the American Bar Association Standards and Association of American Law Schools Regulations
- Knowledge of FERPA and implementing regulations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms
- Must be self-motivated and able to initiate and set goals and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and attention to detail
- At least 1 year of legal practice or post-graduate clerkship
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Position Number: 14327
Open Date: 10/10/2017
Department: Washington College of Law
Salary Range: $70,000 - $75,000
Band: Project Leader/Advisor B
Work Hours per Week: 35-Exempt
Position Type: Full-time Staff