Internal Revenue Service TAX LAW SPECIALIST (REVIEWER) *BILINGUAL- SPANISH* in Washington, District Of Columbia
About the Agency
WHAT DOES A TAX LAW SPECIALIST DO? As a Tax Law Specialist (Bi-lingual-Spanish Reviewer) you will be responsible for exercising independent judgment, and perform technical work of exceptional difficulty and responsibility. You will serve as reviewer, coordinator, consultant, and advisor regarding matters of technical content involved in the initiation, development, and revision of tax return forms, instructions, schedules, taxpayer information publications, tax law training materials, and other technical tax law material. The reviewer is instrumental in the development of timely, well-written materials for use by the public to increase their understanding of tax responsibility; and by the IRS in administering the tax laws, achieving voluntary compliance, and collecting revenue. WHAT IS THE WAGE & INVESTMENT (W&I;)**DIVISION?
The Wage & Investment Division (W&I;) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I; objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I; partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.
Position is located in the Wage & Investment Division, Customer Assistance Relationship and Education (CARE)/ Media & Publications/ Tax Forms & Publications Division/ Individual & Specialty Forms & Publications Branch/ Individual Tax Law Section. The position may be filled at either: 5000 Ellin Rd., Lanham/ Seabrook, MD or 1111 Constitution Ave NW, Washington D.C.**
As a Tax Law Specialist you will:
- Review proposed and final drafts of technical tax material to insure technical accuracy, reliability, and consistency.
- Provide expert technical advice and prepare background information documents relating to the cause of problems.
- Research and analyze proposed and current legislation for technical content, feasibility of incorporation into taxpayer information publications, and administratability of conversion into forms and instructions.
- Research material, including tax treaties, judicial and administrative decisions, revenue rulings and revenue procedures, and requests, develop implementation plans and complexity analyses.
- Coordinate to ensure technical content is accurate, reflects current tax law and ensure that products are logically arranged and written in clear, easy to understand language.
- Maintain current awareness of changes in the tax law, regulations, rulings, administrative decisions, and determine the effect on tax products.
- Prepare announcements and news releases with respect to tax forms, instructions, publications, and related technical materials.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
- Occasional Travel
- Travel locally and/or overnight approximately 1-5 nights per month.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- IRS employees on Career or Career Conditional Appts in the competitive service.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-14 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: demonstrated legal, tax accounting, or other experience that required knowledge of Federal tax laws, regulations, precedent decisions, or other areas related to the position to be filled. Examples of qualifying experience include: Preparing, reviewing, or applying rulings, advisory letters, memoranda, etc. related to Federal taxation. Analyzing and adjudicating tax claims, appeals, settlement offers, or similar work related to Federal tax operations. Work as an attorney that required legal research, analysis, and preparation of briefs or similar documents interpreting laws and regulations. Work as an accountant, auditor, or investigator that required application of Federal tax accounting principles and/or the Internal Revenue Code and related laws. In addition, your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate the following: Expert knowledge of Federal tax laws, regulations, revenue rulings, and revenue procedures to convert these into clear concise, logically arranged, well written and easy to understand explanatory material such as tax forms, instructions, and worksheets; Expert knowledge of accounting methods, principles, techniques and practices to interpret and resolve problems; In-depth knowledge of technical tax law, research techniques that include using on-line and paper methods to perform research and analysis; Knowledge of the latest advances in learning theory and cognitive thinking, as they apply to the writing, design, and presentation of materials; Knowledge and skill in printing and design techniques, computer specifications and programming requirements of Standard Generalized Mark-up Language (SGML) or other designated electronic composition and publishing system to develop and implement improvements.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable: You must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
BILINGUAL POSITION ONLY: This is a bilingual position. Applicants will be required to demonstrate proficiency in SPANISH**You must be able to speak, read and write the selected language in order to be considered proficient in that language. If you indicate language proficiency, you may be tested at some point in the hiring process to determine if you possess the required level of proficiency. If you are unable to demonstrate proficiency, you will not be qualified for these positions.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.”
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Review our benefits
POSITION DESCRIPTION: 94672 A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at : https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*:*
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a* bargaining*unit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Eligible for health insurance.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474584700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $112,021 to $145,629 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 14
Series: 0987 Tax Law Specialist
Appointment type: PERMANENT
Work schedule: FULL TIME
Job announcement number: 17CE4-WIB0266-0987-14-WB
Control number: 474584700