Travis County Texas Attorney V - VII in Austin, Texas
Practices civil or criminal law for Texas County or District government. Primary focus will be construction law.
This is the fifth in a series of seven attorney-related job classifications within the Attorneys job family. This classification handles cases and matters that are moderately complex and that may result in moderately severe consequences without supervision. Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews bid specification, professional services proposals; advises Purchasing office.
- Visits construction sites, collaborates with Litigation Division.
- Attends Weekly Commissioners Court meetings.
- Performs legal research. Searches resources and studies legal records and documents to obtain information applicable to case or issue under consideration.
- Drafts briefs, motions, orders, subpoenas, contracts and other legal documents, as well as correspondence and reports.
- Takes depositions and responds to discovery requests. Oversees the creation and issuance of legal documents, including subpoenas, motions, orders, writs, warrants, contracts, official policies and other related documents. Represents the State at docket calls.
- Prepares cases for trial. Collects, organizes and prepares evidence, information and other legal materials.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
J.D./LL.B. from an accredited law school AND six (6) to ten (10) years licensed attorney work experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Jurisprudence, criminal and civil law and procedures, including constitutional and statutory law.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Methods and practices of pleading cases and of effective techniques for presentation of cases in court or to effectively present facts and precedents verbally and in writing in law related matters.
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation. Skill in:
Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Analyzing and appraising facts, policies, procedures and legal precedents in area of specialty.
Both verbal and written communication, including presentations. Ability to:
Draft contracts, legal opinions and policies.
- Conduct legal research and analysis, both manually and electronically.
- Present facts, precedents and arguments verbally and in writing and apply negotiation skills.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Work well under pressure and exercise tact in trying situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday
Department: County Attorney
Location: 314 W. 11th St., Austin
Criminal, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full Time
Department: County Attorney
Job Number: 18-04321
Closing: 4/27/2018 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701