Thermo Fisher Scientific Senior Patent Agent- Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing Division in Carlsbad, California
Thermo Fisher Scientific has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Patent Agent to join its Life Sciences Solutions Group at a site in the San Diego Area. This position will support the Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing Division. You will work closely with a diverse and talented group of researchers and engineers as well as a dynamic legal group, this position will help drive IP tactics and strategy for cutting-edge next-generation sequencing for research and clinical applications. Many different challenges and opportunities await the right candidate.
The Senior Patent Agent will support a variety of IP initiatives, including: invention harvesting, patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development and management, IP searching and/or landscaping, and support for freedom-to-operate analyses. Our Patent Agents are expected to develop an understanding of the technology and business strategy for the groups they support to both inform the various IP initiatives as well as the underlying business decision-making processes. Further, agents actively participate in engaging and representing to the business the IP legal position on various opportunities that arise from this important work.Technical areas of focus for this position include next-generation sequencing assays, systems, and workflows.
Essential Functions :
· Extensive experience, with a track record of success, in drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
· Proven ability to perform complex IP analyses including product clearances, IP landscaping, and prior art searches;
· Excellent scientific and technical expertise;
· A B.S. or advanced degree in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields;
· Strong communication skills; and,
· Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Preferred Qualifications :
· Six or more years of experience preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications (writing samples will be requested);
· A track record of success as a patent agent (ideally also including industry experience);
· Experience with technologies involving nucleic acid analysis; and/or,
· Experience prosecuting patent applications in a variety of technology spaces.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.