Continental Corporation Patent Counsel in Deer Park, Illinois
About Continental With sales of €39.2 billion in 2015, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide and currently employs more than 215,000 employees in 55 countries. The Automotive Group with its three divisions Chassis & Safety (sales of approx. €8.4 billion in 2015, roughly 40.000 employees), Powertrain (sales of approx. €7.1 billion in 2015, roughly 35,400 employees) and Interior (sales of approx. €8.2 billion in 2015, roughly 40,500 employees) achieved sales of approximately €23.7 billion in 2015. The Automotive Group is present in more than 170 locations worldwide. As a partner to the automotive and commercial vehicle industry, it develops and produces innovative products and systems for a modern automotive future in which cars provide individual mobility and driving pleasure consistent with driving safety, environmental responsibility, and cost-efficiency.
Auto req ID 85167BR
Job Title Patent Counsel
Country United States
Posting Location Deer Park, IL
The patent counsel will report to the Head of IP for the Americas and assist patent counsel in the Auburn Hills office and in Deer Park, and may also support other Continental locations, and in particular IP, engineering and business units in our Germany.
The Deer Park facility of Continental is seeking a highly motivated EE/ME/Computer Science/ Physics patent attorney with at least 7 years of primarily (85%) patent application preparation and prosecution experience to add to its IP team. The primary goal for this patent attorney is to insource patent prosecution work and the nationalization of DE cases in order to reduce costs. You will work with engineers, patent counsel in Germany and in the US as well as with business units to audit and manage a patent portfolio, manage a patent review committee, prepare, file and prosecute patent applications and assist with other work, including opinions, agreements, managing outside IP counsel, Open Source Counseling and litigation support. The work includes an interesting mix of rubber, plastics, and fluid technologies for a variety of products including belts and hoses. Collegial atmosphere provides a great work environment and an opportunity to grow. Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Member in good standing of any U.S. State Bar Association, California, Michigan or Illinois preferred
• Responsible for controlling and tracking spending to stay within budget guidelines.
• Must be flexible and able to work independently and within a highly functional team under tight deadlines, handle multiple tasks, work collaboratively, think creatively, take initiative and respond quickly to changing priorities and goals.
• Able to work in a collaborative teamwork style work environment and be willing to assist/support others.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7 years of patent application preparation and prosecution experience on U.S. and foreign patent filings (approx. 28 apps/year).
• Strong computer skills including an ability to actively learn and utilize software including, Microsoft Office, the USPTO's EFS, and Continental's IP docket management database.
• Member in good standing of any U.S. State Bar Association
• Extensive knowledge of USPTO and PCT rules, regulations, forms
• Ability to perform research on CAFC case law and in the MPEP and to share knowledge with and train others.
• Former patent prosecution law firm experience as a patent attorney.
• Member in good standing of any U.S. State Bar Association, California, Michigan or Illinois preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree in EE/ME/Computer Science/ Physics
• Minor experience with trademarks and IP ¬related agreements, such as non¬disclosure, licensing, Open Source Counseling, litigation support, supplier and development agreements (5% -¬10%)
• Conducting product clearances, freedom to operate and patentability searches.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills that adhere to Continental Business System (CBS) policy and to the IP department's highly collegial and respectful interpersonal communications culture.
*This position will not offer relocation or visa sponsorship. *
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to North.America.Recruiting@continental-corporation.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.209.4000.
Division Footer Text Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.